Re: identify XHTML DTD by URI, not by FPI

From: Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor <roconnor@uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 09:40:37 -0500 (EST)
To: W3C HTML <www-html@w3.org>
On Thu, 17 Feb 2000, Dan Connolly wrote:

> Again, I've seen that claim, but nothing behind it. Who finds
> them useful? And for what uses? And cannot those uses be
> served by a URI?

Wouldn't a FPI be usefull over a URL in the following sencerio.
The W3C pays for it's domain name w3.org to InterNIC.  InterNIC accepts
it, but for some reason thinks they haven't.  InterNIC sells the
``unregistered'' domin.  w3.org is immediately bought you.  w3.org becomes
a porno site.  Not nothing ... ahem ... validates, because a URL was used.
Admiditaly using an FPI would have the same problem, but with a URL,
*every* document must be changed, but for a FPI, only the catalogs need to
be changed.

As you well know, this is a reasonably likely sencerio.

       <http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~roconnor/>
``Paradoxically, a refusal to `put a monetary value on life' means that
life is often undervalued.'' -- Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach