XHTML Basic and XHTML modularization, prologue

From: Jonny Axelsson <jonny@metastasis.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 13:04:37 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org
I've just read the XHTML Basic (and modularization of XHTML(TM)), and I
wonder about some of the choices made there.

<gripe>I know the model of the W3C demands that the insider discussion is
excluded from the outsider discussion. But this means that the users of the
standards would either have to accept the standards unquestioningly, reject
it, or repeat an existing discussion. I hate to start an "Oh no, not again"
discussion, but it is hard to learn from history when history is
classified. It would be easier to react to a new working draft if it was
accompanied with a full description of rationales, why something was chosen
and why something else was not. That way I would also know what was
considered, and what was not.</gripe>

Before I spout my own opinions, I wonder if there is "prior art" available
somewhere I can refer to it.