Re: naming custom/extended tags

Michael Blow wrote:

> Are there any W3C recommendations on how to name a custom tag?  We need to
> define a few custom tags, and want to following any naming standards that
> may be in place, to minimize potential conflict.

Take a look at this example from the XHTML spec:

==========
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xhtml1-20000126/#docconf

The following example shows the way in which XHTML 1.0 could be used in
conjunction
with the MathML Recommendation:

  <head>
    <title>A Math Example</title>
  </head>
    <math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">
      <apply> <log/>
        <logbase>
          <cn> 3 </cn>
        </logbase>
        <ci> x </ci>
      </apply>
    </math>
==========

So the idea is
	-- document your extended vocabulary in the web, say, at
		http://www.propel.com/2000/catalog-markup
		(consider using XML Schemas for this
		http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1 )
	-- xml-ize your HTML (include all the end tags, make emtpy
		tags explicit ala
		see the guidelines at
		http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xhtml1-20000126/#guidelines
		for details and
		http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/ for a tool
		that can do a lot of the work automatically)
	-- use XML namespaces to associate your markup with
		your vocabulary documentation

Putting it all together, you get something like:

	xmlns:fruit="http://www.propel.com/2000/catalog-markup">
  <head>
    <title>An extended web page</title>
  </head>