RE: Table height

From: Dave J Woolley <DJW@bts.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 12:26:36 -0000
To: www-html@w3.org
> From:	Laura Short [SMTP:scully@ttlc.net]
>
> Does anyone know why there is no HEIGHT attribute for a table?  You can
> specify the width, so why not the height?  I'm trying to find a way to
> make a table that

	I'd be surprised if width weren't deprecated in
	favour of style sheets.

	However, basically the layout algorithms can compensate
	for width variations by changing the way that text is
	wrapped, and, unless column widths and numbers are fully
	specified (and the browser supports COL properly - do
	any?) two passes are needed to do the horizontal layout.

	There is no clever vertical layout.

	You might want to consider whether you really need a
	page descriptioni language (e.g. PDF), rather than
	a logical markup language.