The <HR> tag

From: <pdf@bizfon.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 11:10:32 -0500
To: www-html@w3.org

In HTML4, the HR tag does not contain any attributes that let you specify the
color.  However, IE seems to allow you to set a color attribute (IE also lets
you control the color with style sheets).  Changing the color of an HR seems
like it would be a very common thing.  I'm just wondering why this hasn't been
added to the HTML specs?  Is there some better way to create a colored
horizontal rule that I don't know about?

More info on the HR tag available here:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/present/graphics.html#h-15.3

Thanks,
Peter