Re: web page layout standrads

From: Clover Andrew <aclover@1VALUE.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 13:00:49 +0100
To: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>
phillip lyford [mailto:p_lyford@hotmail.com]

> Has there been a discussion about standards for web page
> layout?.

Kind of. See Nielsen's infamous End of Web Design article at:

  http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20000723.html

Many people wholly reject the idea of a standard design.
Personally I agree with a lot of what Jakob says, but he goes
too far here IMHO: web sites are not always just applications
as he sees them, and the level of shared expert features
between sites is low.

> Or will the top desingers dictate layout like the fashion
> industry dictates what the current fad is.

More likely the most mediocre ones.

> (Is this the right list to ask this question?)

Well, it could be, if you want to suggest new elements like
blocks, and then allow users to make their own standard
layout with a user style sheet. :-) Problem is layout is
really an all-or-nothing game; the user and designer
can't easily make a 'compromise' layout like they can
with other CSS properties.

For general web design discussion you could try webdesign-l
(http://webdesign-l.com/), or newsgroups like
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.misc.

--
Andrew Clover