RE: CDATA in attribute values

From: Dave J Woolley <david.woolley@bts.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 11:55:01 -0000
To: www-html@w3.org
> From:	Christian Smith [SMTP:csmith@barebones.com]
>
> I realize that using this in an XHTML document would create something
> not supported by the validator or by a current HTML renderer, but is it
> valid XML to use a CDATA section in an attribute value if that attribute
> is defined as having a content model of CDATA?

[DJW:]  No.  Attribute CDATA is not the same as CDATA
sections in as much as entities are expanded, but it is
still not parsed for elements and directives.  The syntax
definition permits:

1) entity references;
2) any character except the character used to quote the string,
   <, and &.

It doesn't recgnize anything else.  Note that section 4.4.2 forbids
sneaking mark-up into parameters using general entities.