Re: XHTML 1.1 : no frames

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Debbie Bick wrote:

>I understand that version 1.1 is a working draft. I'm concerned about
>how to redesign our applications that have been written using frames, Do
>you have any suggestions / thoughts on how to replace the functionality

XHTML Modularization
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/xhtml_modules.html#s_framesmodule

+ XHTML 1.1
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/doctype.html#s_doctype

"The XHTML 1.1 document type is a fully functional document type with rich
semantics. It is not, however, as varied in functionality as the XHTML 1.0
Transitional or Frameset document types. These document types defined many
presentational components that are better handled through style sheets or other
similar mechanisms. Moreover, since the XHTML 1.1 document type is based
exclusively upon the facilities defined in the XHTML Modules, it does
not contain any of the deprecated functionality of XHTML 1.0 nor of
HTML 4.0."

No flames war, please.

Absolute positioning in CSS is far better than frame to have non
scrollable menu in terms of accessibility, URL usability, etc.

--
Karl Dubost / W3C - Conformance Manager
          http://www.w3.org/

     --- Be Strict To Be Cool! ---