RE: the 'target' attribute

> Dave J Woolley wrote:
> > Tapio Markula wrote:
> > >
> > > I agree. The attribute 'target' is reasonable also, when opening a
> > > temporary window but keeping the main window background.
> > >
> > [DJW:]  Popups are often misused.  Very few
[snip]

> Just because something can be missused dosn't mean that it shouldn't be in
> the standards. If people get annoyed by ad-popups then sites will not use
> them. Serious advertisers check what people think of thier ads...

Popups are, in most cases, mis-used. In fact yesterday was the first time I
actually had a legitimate excuse, and that was in a CV, where the popups
loaded websites relating to some past work

It's a shame that to have this functionality will loose the strict 4.01
compliance (I'd rather not use transitional) but at the same time, it's not
really a frameset document either, it merely wants to start related content
in a method that it's easy to return to the original page -- as we've
already discussed, it's remarkably easy to break the back button
functionality...

It's that lame justification that I can see a use for target to move into
the strict DTD, even if it's only with the standard frame names (_top
_parent _blank etc)

Well, that's my tuppence worth...