Re: border attribute for table element in XHTML

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 21:59:16 -0400 (EDT)
To: "Christian Smith" <csmith@barebones.com>
Cc: <www-html@w3.org>
* "Christian Smith" <csmith@barebones.com> wrote:
| > I want to know, why the border attribut for the element table is still
defined
| > in the table module for XHTML. The HTML 4.01 recommendation [1] says:
| >
| > [...]
| >   This attributes specifies the width (in pixels only) of the frame around
| >   a table
| > [...]
| >
| > so for me this is a presentational attribut and should be removed from
| > (X)HTML. The presentational effect can be achieved with the CSS border
| > property.
| >
| > [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/tables.html#adef-border-TABLE
|
| Because XHTML 1.0 is only the XMLized version of HTML 4.0 frameset,
| transitional and strict. It has neither more nor less presentational bagage
| than HTML 4.0.

Oh, did i refer to XHTML 1.0?

It's included in the HTML 4.01 Strict DTD and its included in
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/xhtml_modules.html#s_tablemodule and
therefor in _XHTML 1.1_ and i want to know why.

regards,
--
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:bjoern@hoehrmann.de · http://www.bjoernsworld.de