Substitution for Frames

From: Lohengrin <lohengrin@hkguy.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 19:57:42 +0800
To: <www-html@w3.org>, <www-style@w3.org>
Dear all,

Although I understand the linking problem with frames, it is somehow a
necessary evil for its functions. Here I am looking for a substitution for
frames to make my navigation bar fixed when scrolling down the content as
the user requested me to do. I have taken a look in CSS2 Spec 9.6.1, but I
find that "position: fixed;" does not work well even for the latest IE 5.5.
Could anyone send suggest me an alternative? And I would appreciate if you
can post specific codes in details.

Thank you.