Re: Friendly Specs (was Re: Modularization of XHTML B.3.4.2)

From: Susan Lesch <lesch@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 18:43:08 -0800
To: www-html@w3.org
Jan Roland Eriksson wrote:

>It's an irritation, to me at least, that so many of W3's pages needs to
>be side scrolled even at fairly common browser window widths.
[snip]
>Just to pick one, and this one is not the worst...
>
>  http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/

Yes, that page had me horizontal scrolling, too (at 640x480 maximum
screen output). You can see one solution in section 15.2 of the SVG
"work in progress" [1] which compacts the text to allow for longer
lines:

PRE.svgsamplecompressed {
     font-size: 75%;
     letter-spacing: -.05em;
     line-height: 95%
}

>...designing pages that adopts them self to a wider span of browsing
>situations is not that hard. I think that just about every one of my own
>creations can be rendered without side scrolling from some 350-400px
>wide browser windows with common font sizes, so surely it can be done.

Well, if you have a suggestion for wide PRE sections (which seem to
be more and more common for XML) please do tell. The above is the
best I could find.

>I have noted that the quality of markup syntax has improved from what it
>used to be.

Yes, and the technical reports' style sheets more often give output
readable in "any browser." Still a little ways to go, maybe.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/filters.html

P.S. Thank you, Ashvil and Simon, for your comments. I volunteered to
proofread W3C specs one at a time and will keep your ideas in mind.
Much obliged.

--
Susan Lesch
Intern, W3C