Re: Ignoring empty paragraphs

--- Matthew Brealey <webmaster@richinstyle.com> wrote:
> RCI wrote:
> > Although there might be other uses for empty <P>s,
> > the best way to generate vertical white-space,

> I think what you mean is extra whitespace beyond the
> defaults that
> current implementations have in their UA style
> sheets.

RCI> Yes.
> (I recently had to clean up a site
> someone had done in
> Front Page, and it was such a mess of redundant
> tables, superfluous FONT
> elements and other such garbage that I found it was
> quicker just to cut
> and paste the text from the rendering in a browser
> and rebuild the
> markup from scratch),

> The role of <br> is not to create whitespace; in
> fact, no HTML element
> should be used to create any kind of formatting
> effects - HTML is used
> to markup text; i.e., to mark what the doucment
> contains - paragraphs,
> headings, etc.; and _not_ to specify how it should
> be rendered.
>

RCI> Points taken.
As I use a text-editor, not a pseudo-WYSIWYG tool,
and try to avoid using B,I,U etc. elements, then
tag-soup is something I'm not guilty of.

Perhaps the tag-soupers don't have the benefit of
having used tools such as 'nroff' and 'Runoff' before
'word processors' became common. Also, in WordPerfect
5.1 you could see the codes!

=====
Computer Classics (one of a series)
Keyboard Error: press F1 to continue