Re: Ignoring empty paragraphs

From: RCI <robert_ingham_uk@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 17:09:05 +0100 (BST)
To: webmaster@richinstyle.com, www-html@w3.org
--- Matthew Brealey <webmaster@richinstyle.com> wrote:
> RCI wrote:
> > Although there might be other uses for empty <P>s,
> > the best way to generate vertical white-space,
> I think what you mean is extra whitespace beyond the
> defaults that
> current implementations have in their UA style
> sheets.

RCI> Yes.
> (I recently had to clean up a site
> someone had done in
> Front Page, and it was such a mess of redundant
> tables, superfluous FONT
> elements and other such garbage that I found it was
> quicker just to cut
> and paste the text from the rendering in a browser
> and rebuild the
> markup from scratch),

> The role of <br> is not to create whitespace; in
> fact, no HTML element
> should be used to create any kind of formatting
> effects - HTML is used
> to markup text; i.e., to mark what the doucment
> contains - paragraphs,
> headings, etc.; and _not_ to specify how it should
> be rendered.

RCI> Points taken.
As I use a text-editor, not a pseudo-WYSIWYG tool,
and try to avoid using B,I,U etc. elements, then
tag-soup is something I'm not guilty of.

Perhaps the tag-soupers don't have the benefit of
having used tools such as 'nroff' and 'Runoff' before
'word processors' became common. Also, in WordPerfect
5.1 you could see the codes!

Computer Classics (one of a series)
Keyboard Error: press F1 to continue

Do You Yahoo!?