RE: Ignoring empty paragraphs

From: <JOrendorff@ixl.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 15:27:06 -0400
To: www-html@w3.org
> > Indeed, but it is *not* the parser's job to fix errant
> > document structure!  It is the parser's job to read the
> > markup that's there. And as long as it's valid, the DOM
> > tree should have a direct correspondence to the plaintext
> > representation.
>
> Fair enough. But...
>
> What about "styling" of non existing content?
> Leave that no-content element dangling in the DOM tree and we need to
> move the decision not to style it to the CSS renderer instead.

There is already a CSS property 'empty-cells' that affects how empty
table cells are rendered.  Perhaps there should be an
'empty-elements' property:

  P { empty-elements: ignore; }

Or an ":empty" pseudo-class:

  P:empty { display: none; }

The bit about empty paragraphs being "ignored" should probably be
removed.

--
Jason Orendorff
http://www.alarmist.org/