Re: Possible error in Section 18.2.2: Script Content Types

From: George Lund <george@lundboox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 07:58:18 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-html@w3.org
In article <Pine.LNX.4.10.9909232257250.1321-100000@midnight.pipis.com>,
Stephanos Piperoglou <stephanos@webreference.com> writes
>but I
>vaguely recall IE recognizing application/x-javascript as well. My
>Apache distro also came with application/x-javascript as the type for
>JavaScript scripts.

Unfortunately, IE specifically ignores application/x-javascript.

For example, IE 5 does NOT execute
<SCRIPT type="application/x-javascript">
document.write('Hello.');
</SCRIPT>

whereas it does execute
<SCRIPT type="text/javascript">
document.write('Hello.');
</SCRIPT>

It seem to me that the best solution would be for the MIME types to get
registered ASAP. (FWIW I agree that text isn't a good choice of top-
level type.)

How about application/ecmascript?

--
George Lund