Re: Abbreviations and Acronyms

From: Ryan Fischer <fischer@email.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 00:38:28 -0700
To: Keith Bowes <keith_bowes@hotmail.com>, www-html@w3.org
You wrote:
> If there were a way to tell a user agent how to pronounce a
> word, would it not be more sensible to extend aural CSS and
> use the Internation Phonetic Alphabet?

Yes it would be.  I totally agree.  The fact that this functionality
already exists (or is close to existing -- that I don't recall) had
slipped my mind and I indicated that in a different post.  As for using
the Internation Phonetic Alphabet, I agree with that, too.  At least,
that would make the most sense.  I just wasn't sure if the spellings I
saw at dictionary.com or the ones I recalled myself were correct, so I
improvised.

--
 -Ryan Fischer <fischer@email.unc.edu> ICQ UIN - 595003