RE: Possible error in Section 18.2.2: Script Content Types

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 07:06:22 PDT
To: "Stephanos Piperoglou" <stephanos@webreference.com>
Cc: <www-html@w3.org>
I was asked to try to deal with this issue...

> Therefore I would propose, in absence of any corrections to the
> reasoning above, that the above section and all other references to
> script content types be changed to reflect that (a) none of the above
> media types have been assigned by the IANA, and hence the x- prefix
> should be used when describing scripts until something changes on this
> front,

I agree with your identification and characterization of the problem,
but I disagree with your proposed resolution. x- prefix types
should never be used in public protocols. I'd suggest

a) register application/vnd.javascript, etc.
b) change the examples to use application/vnd.javascript
c) include a note that identifies current practice.

>  the types application/x-javascript, application/x-vbscript and
> application/x-tcl reflect current practice in this area.

I'm confused about current practice, could you clarify?