Re: Doctypes, Declarations, and HTML Versions

From: John Whelan <whelan@itp.unibe.ch>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 11:02:13 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-html@w3.org
Russell O'Connor laments

> But for some reason SGML is just to difficult to parse.  I don't see why
> James Clark can write an SGML parser and give it away, but large companies
> with hundreds of employees can't manage.

XML, unlike SGML, can be parsed without a DTD, which seems like the
major selling point of XHTML; XML browsers can be forward-compatible
without fetching a separate file to tell them whether they've just
passed a start tag or a stand-alone.
					John T. Whelan
					whelan@iname.com
					http://www.slack.net/~whelan/