new entities?

From: Douglas Bagnall <douglas@paradise.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 16:52:06 +1300
To: www-html@w3.org

NZ Maori and several other polynesian languages use a latin alphabet
with macronised vowels. A macron is a straight line over a letter
rather like this:
_

and it usually indicates a lengthened vowel sound. Would it be
difficult for macronised vowels to be included in future HTML entity
sets? Or do macrons first have to be accepted by some other standards
group that defines character sets? I know that font support for macrons
is likely to remain ad-hoc and regionally limited.

I imagine the required entities would be something like &Amacron;,
&Emacron;... or &Amac;, &Emac...

thanks,

Douglas Bagnall