From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@operasoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 22:49:28 +0100 (Romance Standard Time)
To: Murray Altheim <altheim@eng.sun.com>
Cc: www-html@w3.org
Also sprach Murray Altheim:

 > >  > "HTML" documents in theory should be viewable on any browser that
 > >  > implements the specification, but unfortunately HTML 4.0's spec allows
 > >  > for such wide variance and requires support for CSS (itself an impossibility)
 > >  > that I hardly blame MS and NS for not having compliant browsers.
 > >
 > > Impossibility? Both Opera and Netscape (through Mozilla) have now
 > > implemented CSS1 fully. It wasn't that hard, actually...
 > Well, apparently your version of Netscape is better than mine. I use the
 > most recent versions (4.7) on Solaris and Linux, and there are plenty of
 > holes.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. CSS1 is -- I believe -- fully
implemented in Mozilla [1] which will form the basis for Netscape 5.x.
As you have notices, Netscape 4.x has quite crappy CSS support and
Netscape employees are the first to admit it.

[1] http://www.mozilla.org

Opera's CSS1 support in 3.6 (currently shipping) is the best on the
market [2] but not quite complete. The few remaining holes have been
filled, but not yet shipped. The next version will support XML as well
as a number of other MLs.

[2] http://webreview.com/wr/pub/guides/style/lboard.html

 > As the principle editor of the CSS1 Recommendation
 > I would expect you to defend CSS (as do Bert and Chris), but you must
 > admit that CSS was designed for use with HTML, given that there was
 > no XML at the time.

There was no XML, but there was SGML. The CSS1 Recommendation notes:

  "We expect to see extensions of CSS in several directions:

    - other DTDs: CSS1 has some HTML-specific parts (e.g. the special
      status of the 'CLASS' and 'ID' attributes) but should easily be
      extended to apply to other DTDs as well."

The CSS2 Recommendation is fully XML-aware:

  "This specification defines Cascading Style Sheets, level 2 (CSS2).
   CSS2 is a style sheet language that allows authors and users to attach
   style (e.g., fonts, spacing, and aural cues) to structured documents
   (e.g., HTML documents and XML applications)."

Chief Technology Officer                                Opera Software
Håkon Wium Lie                     http://www.opera.com/people/howcome
howcome@opera.com                                gets you there faster