Re: XHTML

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@operasoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 20:29:19 +0100 (Romance Standard Time)
To: Murray Altheim <altheim@eng.sun.com>
Cc: www-html@w3.org
Also sprach Murray Altheim:

 > "HTML" documents in theory should be viewable on any browser that
 > implements the specification, but unfortunately HTML 4.0's spec allows
 > for such wide variance and requires support for CSS (itself an impossibility)
 > that I hardly blame MS and NS for not having compliant browsers.

Impossibility? Both Opera and Netscape (through Mozilla) have now
implemented CSS1 fully. It wasn't that hard, actually...

 > The ability to create many varieties of interoperable markup languages
 > based on a common framework (XML and its family of specs, XLink, XSL,
 > etc.) relies on people abandoning proprietary markup (and in this I
 > include a wide array of non-XML Web "features" such as CSS, JavaScript,
 > the current HTML linking syntax, etc.) and begin using truly
 > interoperable markup. A new baseline for interoperability, a new era
 > based on XML, XLink and XSL.

As you know, CSS works well with XML documents and it's not
proprietary -- it's described in two W3C Recommendations. Your
"new-era"-speak reminds me of the vocabulary used to describe SGML a
decade ago. Truly interoperable? I think I prefer the Web, warts and
all.

-h&kon

Håkon Wium Lie                     http://www.opera.com/people/howcome
howcome@opera.com                                gets you there faster