Re: HTML comments in <title> elements - valid or not?

I suppose our messages crossed...

Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, Dan Connolly wrote:
>
> > Perhaps we should have added a NOTE about why this restriction is there:
> > it's there because older HTML implementations treated <!--...---> as
> > character data, and I think some versions of the HTML spec declared
> > the TITLE element as CDATA. So there are known interoperability
> > problems,
> > so authors are prohibited from going there.
>
> Actually come to think about it, if interoperability is an issue, then why
> move to PCDATA?

"There are SGML mechanisms, CDATA and RCDATA declared content, that
allow most `<', `>', and `&' characters to be entered without the use of
entity
references. Because these mechanisms tend to be used and implemented
inconsistently, and because they conflict with techniques for reducing
HTML to
7 bit ASCII for transport, they are deprecated in this version of HTML.
See
section Example and Listing: XMP, LISTING. "
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html-spec/html-spec_foot.html#FOOT5

--
Dan Connolly, W3C
http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/