RE: The "title" attribute of "style" elements

L. David Baron [mailto:dbaron@fas.harvard.edu] wrote:
>Chris Wilson (cwilso@MICROSOFT.com) wrote:
>> ...there are a VERY large number of documents that include more than one
>> STYLE element.
>
>Yes, but how many of them have TITLE attributes?  That's the only
>question relevant to analyzing Ian's proposal.  I would guess almost
>none, since currently the TITLE attribute doesn't "do" anything.

What a waste.  You have a variety of choices for how to implement this
functionality in a way that does not break backward compatibility - in fact,
I gave you a way to do so that I chose two years ago explicitly so that it
would not cause this problem - and you insist that the right way to do this
is a way that would screw backward compatibility for those of us who have
already invested in CSS.

>I strongly support Ian's proposal.  If one sees one of the purposes for
>embedded stylesheets as overriding rules in a linked stylesheet (as
>I do), then it could be very useful.

And I did not state that was not a useful mechanism.  In fact, I found it so
useful I implemented a way to do it two years ago.

>My opinion on Ian's question, BTW, is that his proposal in no way
>disagrees with the current HTML specification.  HTML, as it exists
>today, does not describe when the contents of the STYLE element are to
>be used.

Fine, then you can make the HTML specification an even less realistic and
useful specification in the future by steadfastly refusing to not destroy
backward compatibility.

-Chris Wilson