Re: HTML comments in <title> elements - valid or not?

On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Sean Richardson wrote:

> On the other hand, the following comment was made to the bug report:
> "The content model of TITLE is #PCDATA, not CDATA, so comments are allowed,
> I think.  By other markup, the spec meant other elements." Is this latter
> reading correct? In other words, are comments valid in <title> elements?

I beleive you are correct.  By other markup, the spec meant other
elements.

> Or putting it pragmatically, should Mozilla look inside the <title>
> for anything besides entities at all, or just spit it out as is?

Mozilla should look for and handle entities, comments, and marked sections
and processing instructions in title elements.

Of course, Mozilla doesn't handle marked sections anywhere, so that is a
more general problem.

I also forget what the rules for processing instructions are.  I assume
that user agents should just ignore them (unless they understand them).

> For the record, both NN 4.7 and IE 5 show the comment in the title bar
> when displaying the bug reporter's testcase.

They are also broken.

       <http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~roconnor/>
``And truth irreversibly destroys the meaning of its own message''
-- Anindita Dutta, ``The Paradox of Truth, the Truth of Entropy''