Re: XHTML

From: Ian Hickson <py8ieh@bath.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 14:34:30 +0100 (BST)
To: Rick Jelliffe <ricko@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
cc: www-html@w3.org

On Fri, 21 May 1999, Rick Jelliffe wrote:

> 2.1.6 SGML Newline Handling Requirements, says
>
>   Resolution: The document relies upon XML for its definition of whitespace
>   handling. This includes handling of line boundaries. No change to
>   the document is required
>
> However, XML 1.0 only allows "preserve" or "default", where "default" is
> undefined, but may be the SGML behaviour. Because of this, the XHTML draft
> cannot rely on XML for its definition of whitespace handling for "default".
>
> Suggestion: XHTML should follow SGML.

Wouldn't XHTML actually have to use XML's xml:space="preserve"? The
stylesheet would then say to collapse white-space (e.g., using CSS's
'white-space' property). If this isn't done, then surely there would be no
way for white-space in CSS to work since the spaces would have been
collapsed before getting as far as the renderer.

On the other hand if the SGML default is used, I would recommend reading
these three posts to www-html from last February:

 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/1999Feb/0034.html
 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/1999Feb/0036.html
 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/1999Feb/0037.html

--