HTML and Input Text elements

From: Steve Johnson <shj@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 16:25:29 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-html@w3.org
This is just a suggestion for future versions of HTML... unless of
course there's something I've been missing this whole time :-)

One thing that has continually driven me crazy when creating forms is
the absence of a 'width=' attribute on the text input fields.  I know a
'size=' attribute exists, but this is specific to the font size, and
I've never been satisfied with the results.  I would love to be able to
specify the width of an input text element in percent, much the same as
I can specify table widths or cell widths, or even image widths.  I
suppose for completeness, a 'height=' attribute could be added, but I
don't believe it's necessary.

Have I missed something, or is this a valid suggestion?

Thanks very much,

Steve Johnson