Re: TeX is a de facto standard (was: Dynamic Font Size)

----- Original Message -----
From: Alan G. Isaac <aisaac@american.edu>
To: <www-html@w3.org>
Cc: Jukka Korpela <jkorpela@cc.hut.fi>
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 1999 11:22 AM
Subject: TeX is a de facto standard (was: Dynamic Font Size)

> I think Jukka's responses (below) reflect a very
> different vision of how HTML should function
> than the one I have.

I doubt you'll get too much argument to the suggestion that HTML remains
inadequate for general mathematical expressions. The solution to the problem
entails more than new/different character entity references, though. I think
the solution that will make HTML feature-competitive with LeX won't be HTML
at all, but XML using XHTML, MathML, and XML namespaces.

Braden