Re: Dynamic Font Size

From: Jukka Korpela <jkorpela@cc.hut.fi>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 08:45:39 +0200 (EET)
To: www-html@w3.org
On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Alan G. Isaac wrote:

> Looking at the mathematical operators,
> I am very puzzled. There is a perfectly
> good set of entity names in extremely
> wide use: the TeX/LaTeX/AMSLaTeX
> names. Why not simply adopt these rather
> than inventing new ones?

The entity names in HTML specifications have been taken
from the character entity sets listed in appendix D to
the SGML standard (ISO 8879-1986).

It's actually not a big deal anyway. The entity names are
just half-mnemonic, and as you point out, different names
(or "names" - is something like "isin" or "ni" really a _name_
or just an alphanumeric symbol?) for characters are in use in other
contexts (e.g. TeX, PostScript). Moreover, Netscape 4 does not
support things like &isin; but it supports &#8712; under certain
conditions (see http://www.hut.fi/u/jkorpela/HTML/chars.html ).

So authors might just as well use numeric character references,
either finding them out themselves, which means some work, see
http://www.hut.fi/u/jkorpela/html/unicode.html
or (hopefully, in the future) using software which lets them
enter characters conveniently and takes the trouble of inserting
the (correct!) numeric references into the HTML code. Thus,
I don't think future HTML specifications should extend the repertoire
of entity names for characters.

--
Yucca, http://www.hut.fi/u/jkorpela/ or http://yucca.hut.fi/yucca.html