Disabling a text area

From: Claudio Amaral <claudioa@eggrock.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 15:44:19 -0500
To: <www-html@w3.org>
Hi all,

I am displaying some data inside os a text area, and I would like to disable editing in this area, does anubody have any ideas how I can do that?

Thank You,
claudio.

ps.  I want to use textareas because I am displaying multiple records from the database and I would like them to  look the same size.  So the size differential will be handled by the scroll bar.  This would not be possible in a table cell, Would it?