RE: Validation (HTML/CSS)

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, David Norris wrote:

> I assume you're using Windows ;)  It may be near impossible to use on
> Windows.

This statment is a little misleading.

> You need a computer running some Unix-like operating system (i.e. not
> Windows), SP 1.2.1, local copies of the HTML DTDs for SP, PERL 5, LWP PERL
> module, a web server, and the W3C validation PERL script itself.

These requirements are needed if you want to use exactly what the w3c
validator is using.  However, with some effort you can do the same things
yourself.

You can download SP (which has been developed for windows), download the
HTML DTDs.  This is the core of what you need to do to check documents at
home.  I use this myself at home (but under OS/2).

The PERL scripts just format the resulting error messages into a really
nice format.

    <URL:http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/%7Eroconnor/>
``And truth irreversibly destroys the meaning of its own message''
-- Anindita Dutta, ``The Paradox of Truth, the Truth of Entropy''