Re: scanning barcodes into html forms

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Ryan Cole wrote:
> I would like to create a specification for scanning bar codes into HTML
> forms. It seems to me that with possibly some minor additions to html
> spec, or just interpreting it with bar coding in mind, it could be great
> for data entry. I know that much of this is a browser area, but there
> are some minor tidbits of information that the browser could use to make
> this much more practical.

I might be missing something here, but the barcode scanners that we have
(attached to our library opac) just return ASCII characters and appear to
the PC as normal keyboard input.  No need for anything flash in the HTML
to enable the use of these scanners.  They're not new either - we (and
many other libraries) have been using this technology for years (well
before the web appeared).

Tatty bye,

Jim'll