Re: [from www-html] HTML and Input Text elements

From: Steven Pemberton <Steven.Pemberton@cwi.nl>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 06:41:55 -0400 (EDT)
To: James Salsman <jsalsman@cisco.com>
Cc: w3c-forms@w3.org, www-html@w3.org, Steve Johnson <shj@us.ibm.com>
 > One thing that has continually driven me crazy when creating forms is
 > the absence of a 'width=' attribute on the text input fields.  I know a
 > 'size=' attribute exists, but this is specific to the font size, and
 > I've never been satisfied with the results.  I would love to be able to
 > specify the width of an input text element in percent, much the same as
 > I can specify table widths or cell widths, or even image widths.  I
 > suppose for completeness, a 'height=' attribute could be added, but I
 > don't believe it's necessary.
 >
 > Have I missed something, or is this a valid suggestion?

What you may have missed is that the CSS group is dealing with all
aspects of display of forms. There is a current draft for extensions
to CSS to handle extra aspects of forms, but you can already say this
in CSS1:

	input { width: 50% }

this is because input is a 'replaced inline element'

Best wishes,

Steven Pemberton