Re: BIG & SMALL

From: jeff grannis <jgrannis@cetih.fr>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 09:45:07 +0200
To: Peter Fleck <pf@pfhyper.com>
CC: www-html@w3.org
Peter Fleck wrote:

> [Bad subject on the last post of this message. My apologies.]
>
> What structural or logical meaning can be assigned to  <BIG> and
> <SMALL>?  My guess is emphasis but why wouldn't I use  <STRONG> or  <EM>?

For <small>, I found a possible logical use. On the following web page:
http://www.edit.co.uk/style.htm ; which gives some suggestions for style
in technical publications, they state,
"Small capital letters are sometimes used for acronyms which are not
trade names"

Come to think about it, I've often seen smaller capital letters used for
titles of chapters and proper names (where in both cases, the first
letter is a regular sized capital letter and the rest of the letters are
small caps).

I have no idea for <big>. Maybe there's a meaning in mathematics?

Jeff