Re: XHTML

From: George Lund <george@lundboox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 19:23:16 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org
In article <Pine.WNT.4.10.9907070918120.-210899@zira.huji.ac.il>, Nir
Dagan <nir@nirdagan.com> writes
>Another cost that may be saved with XML is the ability to parse
>(some) documents without a DTD. Retreiving a DTD across the
>internet and parsing it constitutes considerable bandwith,
>processing, and display time costs.

Fair enough, but for common applications like HTML a parser (i.e. web
browser) could be expected to have copies of the DTD to hand. So I still
don't really see why we need HTML to be reformulated into XML. If a
programmer can't understand SGML parsing then I would suggest going into
programming web browsers was not a good career move. And once someone
has put the SGML parser into a browser, it doesn't have to be done again
and other programmers can concentrate on other aspects.

--
George Lund