Re: Mailto

At 6:25a -0800 01/21/99, Ann Navarro wrote:
>True, however, since these mailto schemes are being used for both forms and
>simple links, and most users (and web sites that use them for forms) don't
>know the difference, you end up with quite a few broken forms. The casual
>surfer won't have a clue that their form response didn't get sent -- or
>sits and wonders why their email program just popped up with a blank
>message in it -- not connecting this to a failure in the mailto action.

I seem to vaguely recall that there is a web site out there which provides
a sort of form-forwarding service -- you set the action attribute to their
cgi, and it forwards the (decoded/formatted) form data to you via email.
Sorry I don't remember their name, and I don't know if they're selling
something, but maybe a search on "form", "mail", "forward", and "service"
might turn up a link or two. It wouldn't be a hard cgi to write, so I
wouldn't be surprised if more than one such service exists.

-Walter