Re: [off topic] browser versions

From: Ian Hickson <py8ieh@bath.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 12:16:03 +0000 (BST)
To: ptorr@vantsys.com.au
cc: www-html@w3.org
On Fri, 15 Jan 1999 ptorr@vantsys.com.au wrote:

> I believe the W3C, and web authors who actually *care* about the
> web, need to do more to ensure that everyone is aware of the issues.
> Somehow we need to get the internet design companies (and others) in
> line and stop them bastardising the net.

If you do feel strongly about this, then offer your help at the Web
Standards Project:

   http://www.webstandards.org/

In particular, if you want to get internet design companies (and
others) to stop 'bastardising the net', you may wish to join one of
the Outreach Committees:

   http://www.webstandards.org/ac.html#outreach

For various political reasons, the W3C is itself unable to campaign
for authors (of both browsers and web pages) to follow standards --
mainly because the members of the W3C *are* the browser makers.

The Web Standards Project (the WaSP) has no such political problems.

(On the other hand, the WaSP is not a standards making body, that is
the role of the W3C).

--
Ian Hickson