downloadble font question

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 21:48:33 +0100 (MET)
To: Wuming Zhang <wuming@Lhasa.NU>
Cc: www-html@w3.org, www-style@w3.org
Wuming Zhang wrote

 > I found this thing in CSS2 Specification.  For example, here the font 'Robson
 > Celtic' is defined and referenced in a style sheet contained in an HTML
 > document.
 >
 >  This heading is displayed using Robson Celtic
 >
 >    The style sheet (in the STYLE element) contains a CSS rule that sets all H1
 > elements to use the 'Robson Celtic' font family.  I wonder What is that
 > http://site/fonts/rob-celt for format of the file? can that file be a ttf or a
 > fon? Anyone know this thing?

The CSS2 doecification doesn't answer this question, just like the
HTML specification doesn't specify a list of image formats. (Unlike
the IMG element in HTML, however, some thinking and review went into
the specification of @font-face and friends :-) We actively encourage
vendors to implement downloadable fonts and expect conventions to be
established.

-h&kon

H   å   k   o   n      W   i   u   m       L   i   e
howcome@w3.org      http://www.w3.org/people/howcome
World     W      i     d     e       Web  Consortium