Re: feature for HTML

,Tim Bagot <tsb@earth.li> wrote:

>Of course, frames are now deprecated, and not supported by CSS, which
>provides similar functionality through other mechanisms.

Frames are not depreciated (although they are covered by a separate DTD).

I am not sure what you mean by CSS providing "similar functionality through
other mechanisms". Can you clarify? Because I can't see any way to reproduce
frame-like functionality with CSS1 (nor CSS2, though I am not so familiar
with that specification).

I don't see why you would want to produce frame-like effects in CSS. Frames
are a *structural* aspect of your document. Structural mark-up should be
handled by HTML, leaving stylistic and display issues to CSS.

In fact, it is this point -- that frames are structural in nature -- that
makes it surprising that they were not included in Strict HTML 4.0. I still
haven't seen a satisfactory explanation for this...?

--
David Meadows [ Technical Writer | Information Developer ]
DNRC Minister for Littorasy * david@heroes.force9.co.uk