Re: Line feeds in PRE blocks

From: Inanis Brooke <alatus@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 20:38:24 -0800
To: "www-html" <www-html@w3.org>
...|Does this mean that the following:

| <PRE>
|   Oranges
|   Lemons
| </PRE>
|
|...where each line is separated by a linefeed character (i.e., where
|the document was created on Unix), and the following:
|
| <PRE>   Oranges   Lemons </PRE>
|
|...should be parsed as being the same thing?
|
|And therefore, does it mean that any PRE blocks in HTML files that
|have lines separated only by linefeed characters (as opposed to
|carriage returns (SGML "RE" characters, code point 13)) should be
|rendered as a single continuous line?

Okay, I admit that I'm no help here. I just wanna say, "Wooaa, that's deep."
I thought that <pre> was an element that doesn't get used too frequently, am
I wrong?
Also, would the answer to this question involve how the OS renders text, or
is it entirely dependent upon the web client software? (my curiosity.)

Daniel [inanis]