Behavior of Hidden Elements

From: Sal Candido <salcandido@fastwebnow.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 22:31:32 -0600
To: <www-html@w3.org>
I have noticed that while in Microsoft Internet Explorer when you have a
hidden element (such as a <div> containing text) the element is not only
hidden but also you cannot mouseover it or click the links. However, in
Mozilla, the div built using the following code...

...will show up when you place your mouse over it. Furthermore, even if you
take out the javascript onmouseover that makes the <div> visible, you can
still click the link (although you cannot see it). I couldn't find anywhere
in the specs that says how a hidden element should behave. Should the
browser keep the element totally hidden and unusable and not allow
interaction with the hidden elements or should the browser allow interaction
with a hidden element.  Does anyone know which behavior is correct or if the
w3c doesn't specify. I apologize if this is stated clearly somewhere and I
just haven't seen it.

- Sal Candido