RE: XML e-mail (was: RE: security problem in emailing HTML)

>> it to text/plain for delivery, and make the original available by
some
>> other means, e.g. a URL in the Mime headers.
> This is a wonderful idea!  It's especially good for mailing lists
> like this one where people are using many different agents.
> *sigh*  I wish someone would implement this.

lynx -dump somefile.html > somefile.txt

Converting to text is simple; adding a message header is equally
trivial.  (Of course, this assumes that the document is made legible
in Lynx.)  Getting something to recognize the header would be another
matter.  One way is to ask the user which type of mail they wish to
receive.  And, using MIME, you could always allow the user to choose
both text/plain and text/html.

I don't understand the whole 'security' issue with HTML mail.  My mail
client's security options allow me to disable automatic downloading of
resources from the network.  It seems to me that it is a matter of
ignorance instead of security.  If someone can't take 5 minutes to
learn how to properly configure their mail client then the results of
that ignorance shouldn't be thrust upon the rest of the world.  If the
mail client fails to properly support something then use another mail
client.  Thrusting ill-conceived, nonsensical laws upon everyone harms
all but the intended target.

--
,David Norris
  Open Server Architecture Project - http://www.opensa.org/