Re: Crawlers indexing with Session-Variable

From: Stephanos Piperoglou <stephanos@internet.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 20:30:55 -0500 (EST)
To: Rainer Jung <rj@no-art.de>
cc: www-html@w3.org
On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Rainer Jung wrote:

> I have a small www-site, using a session-variable in each link.  Now
> it is impossible for me to let any robot register the whole site.  I
> thought about a method to tell the robot, to extract the
> session-variable out of all uri's.  I don't know of any other ideas,
> to get something like this to work.

You're using URLs to specify state. This is bad. There's nothing
specifically prohibiting you to do this, but if you want to specify
state you can either use

(a) HTTP POST (for one-off jobs mostly)
(b) HTTP Cookies (better)

Crawlers indexing your site will be the least of your problems
otherwise. Basically, crawlers are the primary reminder that
UA != Browser, something a lot of people tend to forget.

--
Stephanos Piperoglou <stephanos@internet.com>
Maintainer, HTML with Style      http://www.webreference.com/html/