RE: Navigation Tag, extend link

From: <JOrendorff@ixl.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 17:25:44 -0500
To: www-html@w3.org
Christian,

Concerning your suggestion:
> Something like this in the link elements:
>
> rel="hierarchy1"
> rel="hierarchy2"
>
> or:
>
> rel="parent" level="1"
> rel="parent" level="2"

Check out Resource Description Framework (RDF):  http://www.w3.org/RDF

RDF was designed to express relationships between resources like web pages,
just like what you're talking about.  But RDF isn't limited to describing
navigation or describing just the current page and its ancestors.  It can
describe, in a more general way, relationships among a whole web of pages,
and their authors, when they were written, and so on.

But for what you want it would be pretty simple RDF:

<RDF xmlns="http://www.w3.org/...rdf..."
     xmlns:rel="http://whatever.com/">

  <Description about="http://www.alarmist.org/News/1999/12/31/santa.html"
    rel:parent="http://www.alarmist.org/News/1999" />

  <Description about="http://www.alarmist.org/News/1999"
     rel:parent="http://www.alarmist.org/News" />

  <Description about="http://www.alarmist.org/News"
     rel:parent="http://www.alarmist.org/" />

</RDF>

I'm really glad that XSL is a standard now, because I can use
RDF, and convert the results into displayable HTML.  (Unfortunately,
XPath isn't so good for querying RDF in a way that's true to the
RDF spec.)

--
Jason