Re: accented characters, etc.

[offline]

> Karlsson Kent - keka wrote:
>
> To be nitpicking: [...]

I didn't consider your reply nitpicking at all, simply a well written
clarification of my rather general comments. Thanks.

> PS
> Regarding HTML character entities: Please instead use the proper
> characters directly whenever possible.  NCRs and named characters
> should be used ONLY when you cannot express the proper character
> directy in the encoding used for the document.  So if the document is
> in UTF-8 you never really need any NCRs or named character entities.

Of course, the predominant reason why people might use either NCRs or
named character entities is because their input tools do not allow
direct insertion of the desired characters (ie., there is no keyboard
mapping, the repertoire is enormous, the numeric range is beyond the
ability of their OS to represent it, etc.)

Murray

Murray Altheim, SGML Grease Monkey         <mailto:altheim&#64;eng.sun.com>
Member of Technical Staff, Tools Development & Support
Sun Microsystems, 901 San Antonio Rd., UMPK17-102, Palo Alto, CA 94303-4900

   the honey bee is sad and cross and wicked as a weasel
   and when she perches on you boss she leaves a little measle -- archy