Re: Tag Soup (was: FW: XHTML)

From: Daniel Hiester <alatus@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 17:53:03 -0800
To: <www-html@w3.org>
Well, then, if Tag Soup will continue to be a problem (and I can understand
why... I debatedly began writing HTML in tag soup way back in '95 or so, I
think), then why not just make tag soup incompliant w/ XHTML?

When I wrote Tag Soup, I never used a Doctype Declaration... almost nobody
did back then. (and at that, it wasn't really tag soup, it was "kinda" tag
soup) If a Document is going to be well-formed, then it must include a
doctype declaration. If it isn't well-formed, then it shouldn't include a
doctype declaration.

Let tag soup continue to exist; but if tag soup authors put doctype
declarations into the documents, the parser should just totally ruin it. Let
the author "figure out" that the doctype declaration is ruining their tag
soup. At that point, they realize they don't know "real xhtml."

I've written too much already...

Daniel