RE: Read from running instance of Netscape Page

From: Dave J Woolley <DJW@bts.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 13:09:50 -0000
To: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>
> From:	Ramco Ecommerce [SMTP:sathishv@boatracers.com]
>
> I would like to develop an application that can read from the netscape's
> Document object Model and list down all the contents of a web page that is
> being shown by a netscape browser ( from a running instance of the
> browser).

	As posed, this is a document object
	model question, not an HTML one.  Unfortunately the W3C
	DOM isn't that much like the Netscape one,
	and, the last time I looked, you needed at least the IE4
	DOM to reconstruct the page source.

> For: eg. my typical usage is, that I would like to list down all the image
> names or Hyperlinks that are in the current page.
>
> Typically I would like to know How the View Source of the Netscape browser
> achieves this.

	By directly accessing the real internal data structures,
	not a DOM abstraction of them.  If this functionality is
	available, and assuming Win32, rather than Unix, it will
	be exposed by an OLE, not an HTML, object model.