RE: Clean up the "Three Flavor" Mess

From: Jelks Cabaniss <jelks@jelks.nu>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 13:32:37 -0400
To: <www-html@w3.org>
> Dear XHTML Committee,
>
> Please make life easier for those of us who validate or insist on valid
> HTML from our users.  Please do away with the "transitional," "strict,"
> and "frameset" DTDs, and give us A SINGLE DTD for the current W3
> recommendation!

Indeed.  There was a Transitional DTD for HTML 4.0 -- we're *keeping* a
Transitional DTD for XHTML?  Sounds more Eternal than Transitional.  Do we
really want to bring <font> & Co. along to the party?  Perhaps it should be
re-codenamed "Titanic" instead of "Voyager". ...

People who want to use <font> & Co. can always use HTML 4.0 Transitional.
There's no shortage of browsers that understand that stuff -- and it has the
added "benefit" that it doesn't even need to be well-formed. ... :)

PS.  I'm sure this has been discussed by the committee, and for various reasons
decided against at this time.  But I sincerely hope that *very strong wording*
is placed prominently in the Recommendation that the next version will *not*
have a Transitional DTD, and that people should use Strict -- and CSS (and/or
maybe XSL *if* that is viable at the time) for presentation.

/Jelks