Re: Form "select" suggestion

From: <DBHarkey@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 19:16:56 EDT
To: www-html@w3.org
> The attribute would add an icon (16  pixels by 16 pixels for a normal box,
or
> scaled to size depending on how large the font of the select box is) to an
option in
> the box.
>
>  Although this is a nice idea, it seems to me it would be done better in
CSS.
>  Perhaps SELECT boxes could be counted as lists so that the
'list-style-image'
>  property would apply.

I would think otherwise; mainly for 3 reasons:

1. Ease.  In my opinion, it's much easier to simply add a tag in HTML code
than to set up a style sheet.  And it's probably much easier to remember
ICON, ICONSPACING, ICONALIGN than to put a list-style-image property with
each option.

2. For folks just learning HTML, a tag is easier to remember than learning
CSS properties.

3. CSS is still pretty buggy on many browsers; and assuming that this would
be adopted with CSS3, it wouldn't be supported with many browsers right away.
 An addition into the next HTML version would probably have a better chance
of becoming standard for all browsers.

- David Harkey
DBHarkey@aol.com