Re: Just a passing curiousity

From: Walter Ian Kaye <walter@natural-innovations.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 11:49:38 -0800
To: www-html@w3.org
At 8:10a -0800 04/06/99, Ben Badgley wrote:
>However I find it difficult
>to believe that the internet appears to be going the route of

98% of web sites are crap.
However, you are still in full control of your own. It may not be possible
to "heal" the web, but that doesn't mean you can't set a good example by
yourself. You don't have to be assimilated. <g>

>Should we then too design to sell? I know that yes I need to sell my
>work so that I can have a job as a freelance webmaster. I will not argue
>this, however my point is this must we sell everyone else's including

There are all sorts of business models. You can use an existing one or
create your own business model from scratch.

>I'm finding that quality web design does not count it's how
>much you can sell.

There are still plenty of sites that are just for fun, or just for
education -- they just don't get as much press.

>And this list is no diffrent for we all sell
>ourselves short with ignornat posts regarding lower case or upper case.
>HTML does not care, Unix prefers lower case filenames. Big deal I
>thought we would have learned this from day one.

The problem about that was what HUMAN EYES want. The consensus was to use
a scriptable editor that can find element/attribute names and automatically
change their case at the start/end of an editing session.

>It goes back to
>quality. But I may be wrong in my assumumptions yet please do some
>surfing a while especially personal home pages. Rember when they were
>just that and not a Burma shave ad?

You don't have to use banner ads. You could underwrite your site from
pencil-selling revenue if you wanted, or even just consider it a gift
to the world. It's completely up to you.

 who set his IE security zone prefs so JavaScript is disabled for
 geocities.com and tripod.com (that eliminates their pop-up ads)