RE: CSS equivalent to the NOBR tag?

   . . .
> Could you give a specific example? I don't agree with your assessment based
> on the above. If, say, a proper name should not have a line break in a
> certain place where a space separates characters, then that is exactly the
> place for a non-breaking space. This is not a problem particular to a
> certain layout--a line break should never occur at that point, and a
> non-breaking space ensures it won't. Similar holds true for hyphens in URLs.
> Could you describe a situation where a break would be appropriate for one
> layout, and inappropriate for another?

Your assumption that "a proper name should not have a line break" is contrary
to what I am thinking about.  Rather than an assumption, I would treat this as
an option because there is nothing terribly wrong with having that line-break.
In some cases, especially in paragraphical text, the extremely uneven right
margin that this choice would make might be something that a designer would
rather choose to avoid.  But another designer may find line-break in the
middle of a proper name disrespectful and choose to avoid them.  Yet another
designer may dislike links with line-breaks unintuive and unwanted because of
the appearance of multiple links.  Both of the above examples are things that
we do see done today, so they must not so bad style as to ban them altogether.

Andrew n marshall
  student - artist - programmer
    "Everyone a mentor, Everyone a pupil"